Subject: Re: [Boost-users] no exceptions
From: Hochhaus, Andrew (ahochhaus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-30 18:16:14

Thanks Emil.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Emil Dotchevski
<emildotchevski_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> 2) What is the "recommended" way to throw exceptions inside boost
>> library code (BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION, boost::throw_exception, etc)?
>
> For BOOST_NO_EXCEPTIONS to work, it is sufficient to use
> boost::throw_exception to throw. However, it is recommended to use
> BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION instead, which has the benefit of storing the
> file and line number into the exception object. See
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/release/libs/exception/doc/BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION.html.

That is what I was hoping for.

>> 3) If this is not intended behavior, would incremental patches to
>> remove these dependencies be considered for inclusion?
>
> You mean dependencies on boost/throw_exception.hpp? I'd think that
> patches that convert naked throws to BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION should be
> accepted, since the boost/throw_exception.hpp header is extremely
> lightweight.

Yes. I'm hoping to convert naked throws to BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION.

While I'm at it, any reason why naked {try,catch} shouldn't also be
converted to BOOST_{TRY,CATCH,CATCH_END}?

boost/detail/no_exceptions_support.hpp

-Andy