Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost in an MFC app on WinNT4
From: eg (egoots_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-29 11:45:21

On 4/29/2011 7:57 AM, tangleman_at_[hidden] wrote:
> I am trying to modify a current MFC application running on Windows NT4 to
> use boost libraries for ethernet communcications (originally, it used
> CommX for serial) and general increased performance, effieciency, and
> clarity of code.
>
> I started out modifying it in VS2010, but I found that I was unable to
> produce a valid NT4 app with VS2010. I googled the issue and found that
> VS2005 was the last version able to create an NT4 app. I got everything
> to compile in VS2005, but found that I had to change certain #define
> statements in stdafx.h in order to get the app to run on NT4. However,
> even after doing that, when I execute the program on NT4, it immediately
> quits with no error. It doesn't show anything. I even checked the Task
> Manager processes while executing it. It is like it never executed at
> all.
>
> I got desperate and tried compiling the app in VS2003, but I got so many
> errors that I gave that up.

I know that we built apps targeting Win2000 (and later) using VS2003 and
boost 1_33 through 1_35, and MFC.

It is not clear whether you are experiencing boost issues as we dont
know what errors you are getting.

Normally you need to define a variety of macros in your headers (often
stdafx.h) to define your minimum targets.

For WinNT 4.0:

_WIN32_NT >= 0x0400

and

WINVER >= 0x0400