Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Since which boost-version is linking against boost-system required?
From: Cedric Laczny (cedric.laczny_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-16 06:43:21

On Thursday, 16. June 2011 12:26:35 Igor R wrote:
> > I have an application which compiles fine with boost-1.40 and 1.41
> > (global installation). When I try to compile that application on a
> > system with a local (staged) installation of boost-1.46.0, it complains
> > about
> > undefined reference to `boost::system::get_system_category()'
> > etc.
> > So, now, it has to be linked also to boost-system via -lboost-system.
> > Linking against boost_filesystem and boost_regex ist already specified.
> > So far, so good.
> > My question is now, since when is this required?
>
> If your application uses Boost.System, you should link against it -
> whether you use 1.40 or 1.46.
> Perhaps your application uses some other boost library, which didn't
> use Boost.System in older version, but now it does.
> Maybe Boost.Asio?

I am not the author of this software and it is rather complex. I know that it
links against Boost.Filesystem and Boost.Regex and that this is enough for
boost-1.40 or 1.41 installations but seems to be not enough for boost-1.46.0.
Searching for boost-related includes in the source-files yields the following:
boost/algorithm/string.hpp
boost/filesystem.hpp
boost/graph/adjacency_list.hpp
boost/graph/breadth_first_search.hpp
boost/graph/connected_components.hpp
boost/graph/filtered_graph.hpp
boost/graph/graph_traits.hpp
boost/graph/graph_utility.hpp
boost/graph/graphviz.hpp
boost/graph/johnson_all_pairs_shortest.hpp
boost/graph/reverse_graph.hpp
boost/graph/strong_components.hpp
boost/graph/visitors.hpp
boost/property_map.hpp
boost/regex.hpp

Does any of those require Boost.System nowadays?
Thank you.

Best,

Cedric