Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Serialization building on VS2010
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-14 13:00:01

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 09:22:40AM +0200, Zoltán Lengyel wrote:
> Hello,
> I am having a LINK error when I try to include stuff for serialization:
>
> 'libboost_serialization-vc100-mt-gd-1_46_1.lib'
>
> libs/serialization/vc7ide/BoostSerializationLibrary.sln using Microsoft
>
> What am I doing wrong?

The autolink functionality expects filenames as produced by the
Boost.Build build system, and constructs the filenames based on the VC++
version and some of the essential build settings used for your project.

Normally you should not need to disable the autolinking functionality,
as libraries are named distinctly to avoid accidentally linking in
libraries with incompatible build flags.

The solution and project files you've found are not part of proper Boost
build procedures, instead being some kind of personal convenience
artifacts by (assumedly) the s11n maintainer. There might be some
mention of them in the documentation, but considering that they target a
_very_ old compiler toolchain (VC++ 2003), I wouldn't have high hopes
for them being actively supported.

Taking a quick look at the projects, the output filename is indeed being
hardcoded to contain vc71.

You might be able to fudge the TargetName of the projects in the
solution, or just build Boost with Boost.Build as per the build
procedure shown in the Getting Started guide:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0/more/getting_started/windows.html

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]