Subject: [Boost-users] [Boost.Log] Compiling
From: Leo Cacciari (leo.cacciari_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-09 06:46:09

Hi,
I'm working on an application that'll use the boost libraries, and I
thought using boost.Log for logging (yes, I'm aware the API will change
when boost.Log will be included in the boost distribution). My problems
start when I try to compile the library.

I downloaded the source and copied the relevant files in a 1.42.0 source
tree (1.42.0 is the default version of boost on my Ubuntu 10.10 system)
then run

bjam --with-log

This works, and it also builds a bunch of other libraries, the ones
Boost.Log depends upon i.e., as per Boost.Log documentation,
Boost.Filesystem, Boost.System, Boost.DateTime, Boost.Thread and
Boost.Regex. However, these libraries are already installed on my
system, using my distribution packages. Installing the newly compiled
version of these libraries alongside the pre-existing ones will confuse
my linker, and replacing the latter with the former will confuse my
package manager...

To me the alternatives seem to be the following:

 - install a full boost distribution replacing the one furnished by
   Ubuntu (plus: I could use 1.47, minus: I prefer using software in
   the Ubuntu repositories, if possible)
 - manually copying the compiled libboost_log* from the stage directory
   and header files from the boost/log directory into the target
   directory, skipping the bjam installation phase (pro: quickly done,
   minus: I'm not sure that the install process does not perform other
   tasks, beyond copying the files and running ldconfig, nor I'm sure
   that there is no compatibility issues)

Obviously, I could miss other approach, especially one that simply told
bjam to use the already installed libraries instead of compiling new
versions.

Could anyone offer suggestions?

--
Leo Cacciari
Aliae nationes servitutem pati possunt populi romani est propria libertas