Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost multithread use all cores in parallel ?
From: Norbert Wenzel (norbert.wenzel.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-15 05:23:46

----- Original message -----
> On Aug 14, 2011, at 1:38 PM, Jack Bryan <dtustudy68_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > My program needs to run many (about 10,000+) computing tasks.
> >
> > I want to keep all 144 cores as busy as possible so that my program
> > can be done as fast as possible.
> >
> > How can I do that from the point of programming ?
>
> A "thread pool" is the usual solution. You might want to try this one
> (based on boost):
>
> http://threadpool.sourceforge.net/

I've tried it some time ago and wasn't too happy with it. I have to admit I didn't try really hard, but I usually had cores unused. I'm not sure if this was a problem of the threadpool or of my code, but anyway, from browsing their CVS repository on SF the project looks pretty dead, since the last change was two years ago.

With that number of cores it might be really worth trying Intel TBB. For my part I'm only working on Windows and with normal desktop CPUs, so I'm currently using Microsoft's Concurrency Runtime and Parallel Patterns Library, which works well enough for my tasks.

Norbert