Subject: [Boost-users] Boost MSM - Ways to send info out from state machine to outside world
From: gauravk (gaurav_kulkarni_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-08 14:50:31

Hi,

I wanted to know what are different ways to send info from state machine to
outside world. I am planning to use MSM in my project to represent
connection between local computer and remote computer. This connection will
be used as a channel to send data over to remote device. There can be >1
channels existing between local computer and the remote device. There will
be a controller sitting at local computer monitoring all these channels. The
data will be sent over connection that is idle/free at that point of time.
Whenever the connection, i.e. FSM, is done sending the data, it will let the
controller (which resides outside of the FSM) know that it is done sending
the data and the controller will then send next lot of data over that
connection. There can be 2 ways of achieving this: 1. Controller polling all
the connections and knowing what "state" the FSM is in.(In this case, the
outer world will need to know the current state of the state machine) 2. The
FSM will proactively let the controller know that it is done with sending
data. (In this case the FSM will have to send data to outside world). I
would like to know about ways to implement both the cases (i.e knowing
status/current state of the FSM and sending info from FSM). I would also
like to know what are different ways to interact with (both to and from) FSM
in general, apart from sending events.

Thanks!