Subject: Re: [Boost-users] multi-array and pdes
From: petros (pmamales_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-30 12:28:03

Hi Larry,
ADI is well suited for problems with sacial and temporal vatiation of the
PDE cofficients.
Among experts it is indeed considered somewhat of a "hack" (not really
though, only not universal solver)
and other more elaborate solvers are preferred.
Having said all this, it is the industry standard for its speed and ability
to tackle a large variety of problems.
ADE is a very new method advocated by DD and -to be honest- the fact that
noone has picked it up makes me cautius
(he-as of now- is the only one supporting it).
Would I ever implement it? Sure, after ADI though because of the
standard-ness and because once you have one you have
enough infra for the other.
Now on the error level you report, it does not make much sense. After all it
is a 2nd order scheme, stabilized for time evolution with 2nd
order RK.
Are you sure that
a) took the BCs into account properly?
b) you propagated the BCs as well?
c) have you experimented with various values of theta?
d) have you experimented with different time step size?
HTH
P-
ps: thx for the update. these days I am deep in multithreading LES (for the
purpose of PDE solving) and providing with proper memory
alignment for mkl to be called.