Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [filesystem] filesystem::absolute() doesn't work with ../relative_path or ./relative_path
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-08 03:46:19

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 05:02, Sachin Garg <schngrg_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I do understand that it is complicated to resolve paths but at the same time
> I feel that the main motivation to have boost::filesystem is that it takes
> care of most such complications under a cross-platform API. It is not a
> string manipulation library and is aware of underlying filesystem's
> properties.

I should be able to use the same path object not only for "normal"
filesystem operations, but also in my FTP client, in my HTTP server,
in my game's resource manager, ...

To me, it's very important that there's a very clear line between path
manipulation functions and filesystem manipulation functions, where
something like canonical() is the latter. Personally I think there
should even be an interface and a "host_filesystem" implementation for
the latter, so things like a VFS or pack format have a logical
starting point, but that's a separate issue.

~ Scott