Subject: [Boost-users] asio raw with PF_PACKET and promiscuous mode?
From: Chris Cleeland (chris.cleeland_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-11 13:10:14

Before I reinvent the wheel, has anybody put together an asio
encapsulation of Linux' AF_PACKET sockets with SOCK_RAW?

Also, I'm trying to wrap my brain around how I might represent the
concept of an "endpoint" for a socket like this. Rather than an
IPv4/v6 address, one binds to an interface. So, while there is a
concept of a resolver, it resolves an interface name to an interface
index value.

>From a C/system call perspective, I need to do the following to get
the ball rolling:

1. s = socket(AF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW, htons(ETH_P_ALL))
2. sockaddr_ll myinterface = { .sll_family = AF_PACKET, .sll_protocol
= htons(ETH_P_ALL), .sll_ifindex = interfaceIndex("eth0") }, then
bind(s, &myinterface)
3. packet_mreq promiscuous_cmd = { .mr_ifindex =
interfaceIndex("eth0"), .mr_type = PACKET_MR_PROMISC }, then
setsockopt(s, PACKET_ADD_MEMBERSHIP, &promiscuous_cmd)

I'm pretty sure that for #1, I need a class packet that models the
Protocol concept. But where to put the rest is a bit fuzzier. Do I
need to create a whole new "resolver" for interface names?

I guess I should also note that, at least for the moment, this is just
a means to an end, rather than the end itself. So, I don't need to
craft the entire thing--I need to get enough working to be able to
easily write some code that can capture all network packets on a given
interface, e.g.,

class snooper {
public:
  snooper(std::string interfacename);
  void start();
  void stop();
};

so I can just do something like

  snooper s("eth0");
  s.start();
  ...capture stuff...
  s.stop();

(I'm obviously omitting the part where snooper would hook into objects
that would receive and process captured packets, but I'd like for that
to work similar to how one plumbs up receipt of udp packets.)

--
Chris Cleeland