Subject: Re: [Boost-users] C++ guru required!
From: Ovanes Markarian (om_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-19 13:41:01

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> **
> Ovanes Markarian wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Andre Alex... gave a talk at "Going Native" proposing
> > a "static if" for this case. But I don't see the necessity for
> > for this since I would assume that the compiler
> > just optimises away the "dead" code. I've compiled
> > the above and it seems to do what I want but
> > still I wonder.
> >

> > Robert, I see Andrey's proposal aimed to replace the enable_if which
> > is based on SFINAE and greatly simplify the metaprogramming
> > machinery. The code you present if fine and it might be optimized
> > away by the compiler, but it might produce compilation errors, since
> > all runtime branches of if-statement must be compilable without
> > errors. SFINAE aimes to work around it, like we can enable some
> > special treatment if the provided code "would compile" without
> > errors.
>
> Basically this example is the first slide in Andrei's talk. The purpose
> was to introduce a use case for the need for "static if". To my mind
> it failed in its purpose since a "normal if" already does that. It's even
> worse - Andrei ruminated on the question as to what should be done
> with the "dead" branch. i.e. should it be skipped entirely or actually
> compiled - he left that question open. It seemed to me that for this
> case, the whole question could be addressed by adding language
> to the standard that a compiler should elminate code for which
> it can be determined at compile time will never be run.

[...]
Robert, somehow I do not get your proposal. How do you consider an
if-branch, which is not going to compile, i.e. compilation error. Do you
propose, to ignore that branch and just state: "OK, if there is a
compilation error, that must be eliminated without any errors to the
end-user". I don't think this can work. Therefore there should be a special
language construct, which states: "if there is a compilation error, than it
is safe to be ignored during the compilation"

[...]

> > On the other hand using static if we might inspect the exposed type
> > system of some type T. Let's say we would like to unify some
> > different types using a traits class. Out traits class should expose
> > value_type of the inspected type (say we have a boost::shared_ptr and
> > std::vector as input). boost::shared_ptr contains a typedef of
> > underlying type which is named element_type and std::vector names the
> > underlying type value_type. Out traits type should homogenize these
> > two types and provide a value_type member, which contains the
> > underlying type of either shared_ptr or std::vector. It can be easily
> > "calculated/specialized/inspected" with static if construct. How are
> > you going to solve this problem with the runtime if without using
> > enable_if , overloads and template specializations?
>
> Hmmm - a small code example might make this easier to understand

[...]
I am a little bit in hurry today, but will submit the example tomorrow.

With Kind Regards,
Ovanes