Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Crash in boost::thread::sleep(xt) (boost 1.42 on Windows 32 bit)
From: Neil Groves (neil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-23 10:38:13

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Arno <arno.schaefer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> is there nobody who has some experience in this aerea?

I have experience of odd crashes related to Boost.Thread on this version
and earlier of Boost.

> Our thread, what should run in an endless loop, crashes without any notice
> in the call:
> boost::this_thread::sleep(boost::posix_time::milliseconds(millisec_));
>
> The visual studio 2008 debugger didn't stop in any exception, so what can
> cause this crash and how can I find out the reason? The problem is
> reproducible
> in our complex scenario.

There were some defects that I reported a little while ago relating ODR
violations. The issue was very difficult, at least for me, to track down.
It turned out that one of the third-party shared libraries I was using had
used boost too. When a thread exited in the third party library it caused
my application to die because the wrong function instance was executed.

Anthony was very quick to put the corrections for this defect into Boost,
but 1.42 is definitely too old to have this fix in.

> regards
> Arno

Of course it could be something completely different.

Neil Groves