Subject: Re: [Boost-users] testing archive version of boost::serialize
From: Sam Appleton (sam_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-15 22:06:55

Hi Robert

Thanks for replying. I realize perhaps I was not clear or do not fully
understand your answer.
I was not really looking for ways to test my archive class.

Let's say I know I have an archive file that's been generated by my
archival class, but it
has an indeterminate version that may or may not be compatible with
the present version.
In order for me to determine the embedded version of the archive, the
only way I know
of is to just attempt to deserialize (I do this using (archive-stream)
>> (object) ; ) and
seeing if a version incompatability is flagged. However, is there any
way to determine
just from an open archive stream what the version number of the
embedded stream or
classes implied by the stream contains?

Sam

>Check the documentation section Reference/Archive Class Reference/Testing
>
>This explains how you can submit your archive class to the exhaustive
>series of tests that all the "built-in" archives are subjected to. It does
>take a while to run the tests. And then it makes even more time to
>get your custom archive to pass all the tests. But you will be
>rewarded with something you should be able to depend upon.
>
>Robert Ramey

Sam Appleton
CEO, Ausdia Inc.
o: (408) 914 2704 x801