Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Phoenix] for_each calling push_back for stl containers
From: Ryan (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-17 10:50:10

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Joel de Guzman
<joel_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On 7/16/2012 1:38 AM, Ryan wrote:
>
>> I understand the advantage of the lambda section. It allows added
>> variables to be created
>> and more complicated requirements to be accomplished. I just want to try
>> and remove the
>> extra syntax from my users view if it isn't necessary (other than to make
>> it work :) ). I
>> would think it's possible if the argument from one method is being used
>> directly in the
>> other method without creating any additional variables.
>>

> What API do you intend to make visible? I am not sure yet what
> it is you are trying to do and want your users to see. I'm sure
> you can write a wrapper that will hide these things.

The Phoenix API would still be visible in my code. I was trying to hide
the fact I used a lambda call to combine for_each and push_back. My
colleagues are familiar with the concept of combining stl algorithms
together. They are not familiar with lambdas. This was to avoid confusion
when others need to maintenance my code.

I understand from both Nathan and you that a pure lazy method that you
evaluate immediately is pointless. I'm not arguing that fact. Since this
was an easy concept I wanted to understand the library for when evaluating
a pure lazy method immediately isn't possible.

I apologize for the confusion of what I was trying to accomplish. I've
have greatly appreciated the help that everyone has provided.

Ryan