Subject: [Boost-users] Setup Boost::Signals2 with Remote Objects?
From: Clark Cianfarini (ccianfarini_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-17 16:09:40

Hello,

I am trying to develop a server/client set of applications in C++ that has
the ability to be setup either all on one computer, or distributed across
multiple machines (generally over an intranet). The goal is to have a
possibility of N clients all connected to a single server.

The server collects data from our various sensors, bundles it into a single
object, and ideally triggers a Boost::Signal2, passing the object, to send
the data to all subscribed clients. The resulting processing methods of
each client would be the subscribed slots and thus the processing would
automatically be triggered.

The current software is designed this way through the use of .NET remoting,
but we are trying to move away from being tied down to the Windows realm.

I cannot seem to find documentation as to how to set up remote objects in
such a way to connect the signals and slots across processes/computers.

Do I have to do this through the use of Boost::MPI in some manner? Or do I
need to change my thought process and use just Boost::MPI with object
serialization to just pass the data? Or is there some third option I should
be looking at instead?

Thank you,

Clark

 <mailto:ccianfarini_at_[hidden]> ccianfarini_at_[hidden]