Subject: Re: [Boost-users] installed version / build option
From: Philipp Kraus (philipp.kraus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-20 11:51:22

Am 20.08.2012 15:45, schrieb Lars Viklund:
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 04:44:26PM +0200, Kraus Philipp wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> can I read the build / version of the installed Boost from a file?
>> I would like to grep the version and multithread / singlethread
>> install option from the Boost include directory.
>
> The headers are completely untouched by the build process. No matter
> what build options you use, the number of headers and their content
> are
> fixed in stone.
>
> For the Boost version, consult the defines in <boost/version.hpp>.
>
> For the presence of libraries, that's trickier. Depending on the
> value
> of the --layout you used when building, they may or may not be
> decorated. See
> the documentation on the 'system', 'tagged' and 'versioned' layouts,
> as
> well as the table of decorations in the Getting Started guides
> [1][2].
>
> Note that pretty much no modern system uses singlethreaded
> runtimes/builds nowadays, so it might not be an issue at all.
>
> [1]
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_50_0/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html#library-naming
> [2]
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_50_0/more/getting_started/windows.html#library-naming

Do I understand this correct, that I can change with b2 --layout the
library name during the
buildprocess?

I have got the problem, that I build Boost under OSX & Linux and the
library names shows libboost_random.dylib / *.so
on Windows (MSVC) boost_random-vc100-mt-1_50.dll, so on linking I know
the correct filename.
I would like to have only (lib prefix)boost_random.<dll suffix> (I do
not need the mt name, because I build only multithread libs)
How can I change the layout of the name?

Thanks

Phil