Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Asio Serial ports: enumerating all the devices
From: Kerry, Richard (richard.kerry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-12 05:40:37

Yes, quite possibly.

That's quite close to what I was trying to say with respect to the /dev contents.

All that is probably possible would be to enumerate is serial interfaces (COM ports, in Windows parlance).

Or to enumerate all devices then somehow query them for their type to ascertain that they are serial ports.

There's no way to determine the connected devices.

A quick Google search tells me FTDI devices are serial-ports accessed via USB. ComTrol devices are similar in that they are serial ports accessed via Ethernet. I guess there are other ways of making a serial port available.

Regards,

Richard.

[Blue line]
Richard Kerry
BNCS Engineer
T: +44 (0)20 82259063[cid:C7E1BD7-D3AC-46FDD-B9D9-2FB8095547_at_MimeCtl]<about:blank#>
M: +44 (0)7812 325518[cid:C7E1BD7-D3AC-46FDD-B9D9-2FB8095547_at_MimeCtl]<about:blank#>
Room EBX 301, BBC Television Centre, Wood Lane, London, W12 7RJ
richard.kerry_at_[hidden]<https://webmail.siemens-it-solutions.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=9fb20d019e3e4cb99344d708709a3177&URL=mailto%3arichard.kerry%40atos.net>
uk.atos.net<https://webmail.siemens-it-solutions.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=9fb20d019e3e4cb99344d708709a3177&URL=http%3a%2f%2fuk.atos.net%2fen-uk%2f>
[Atos logo]
This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos group liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable