Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [statechart] [spirit] OSI delimited message framing
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-19 09:41:27

On 06/19/2013 01:55 PM, Michael Powell wrote:

> I need to design a delimited message framing for TCP/IP sockets,
> probably using Asio to facilitate transport. Then build an OSI layer 7
> application vernier to handle framing.

I have a messaging middleware prototype that is build on top of Asio at:

   http://axiomq.sourceforge.net/

There is no documentation yet, as I have not settled on the design yet.

The prototype has a basic_message_socket class with two functions
async_read_message() and async_send_message() that handles the exchange
of messages.

A concrete implementation of basic_message_socket is needed to support
a specific protocol. I have a very basic and feature-weak implementation
of ZTMP/2.0 (the ZeroMQ protocol.) It currently uses a home-brewn state
machine to parse the protocol. I have not yet examined if this could be
replaced by Spirit, StateChart, or MSM.

A connection can be established with async_connect() and
async_accept(). The latter is in the basic_message_acceptor class.
These functions only report back to the application once the two sides
have exchanged protocol headers and determined if they are compatible.