Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [asio] Async (or sync) in threads
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-26 11:16:02

We're good. No worries...

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Anthony Foiani <tkil_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Michael Powell <mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> I find it hard to imagine that anyone is using Boost.Asio, at least
>> targeting Linux flavors and/or for ARM.
>
> Dunno about ARM, but I've been using Boost.ASIO (since version 1.43 or
> so, currently on 1.51) on Linux (x86-64 and ppc32, kernel versions
> 2.6.2x through 3.9.x) with great success.
>
> Doesn't mean that there's not potential issues -- ARM is a very
> fragmented "architecture" to support, with a huge number of variants
> and licensed cores etc. So it's possible that you're doing everything
> right, but something in your toolchain is failing you. (That "illegal
> instruction" is worrisome, and makes me wonder if your toolchain is
> 100% aligned with your hardware.)

You aren't kidding re: ARM is a very fragmented architecture to
support. As you can imagine, "toolchain" is usually among the foremost
inter- and intra-office discussions. More than it needs to be IMHO.

It's possible that it's not. I just looked and I believe we were
possibly (stronger, probably) not targeting the correct processor.

>> Anyone? Thank you...
>
> You might want to start debugging this by trying to get the ASIO
> tutorials and examples running on your target hardware.

If time permits I shall. For now I am going with a "simpler"
client/server socket implementation. It's a little closer to the
socket itself, for what we need to get done.

> If that works, then we can see whether you're using ASIO in a way that
> is unexpected.

Willing to admit, possibly not. I don't think it's that complicated. A
certain amount of faith I am putting in the io_service scheduling its
call backs, etc.