Subject: [Boost-users] Stability of Boost::Serialization XML Output
From: Andreas Neustifter (andreas.neustifter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-13 06:59:04

Hi List,

I have to provide digital signatures of serialized C++ objects, I'm planing
on using Boost::Serialization for the XML part.

Since XML signatures and XMLDsig in particular are difficult [1] and
littered with pitfalls I was wondering if maybe the XML output of
Boost::Serialization is stable enough to do a plain byte-oriented
PKCSwhatever signature?

To summarize:
- C++ objects are serialized to XML with Boost::Serialization (XML is used
since date has to be as human readable as possible).
- Serialized XML has to be digitally signed.
- XMLDsig is complicated [1]

Question:
Does Boost::Serialization with the XML backend produce bytewise the same
data every time?

I sincerely hope that I made myself clear.

Andreas

[1] http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/xmlsec.txt