Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Too many EOF's using boost::asio
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-31 11:01:15

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 01:23:35AM -0700, ustulation wrote:
> Lars Viklund wrote
> > Anyway, this might be a manifestation of the 1.54.0 bug with
> > Boost.ASIO+IOCP having spurious EOFs on Windows:
> > https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/8967
>
> Oh, I see! We had started the project using boost 1.53 and had done testing
> then. I suspect we had seen no such problems hence was not caught then. On
> silently upgrading to boost 1.54 the only thing we cared was compilation
> which was successful at once. The documentations hadn't changed and we
> didn't care much, but I guess the problem lurked all the time since then.
> Only now on redoing some alpha test cases we realized.
>
> So what would you suggest? And though i didn't mention - you are right, it
> /is/ on Windows. Do I use the patch in the link you mentioned (because there
> seems to be some disagreement on its philosophy) or has christopher kohlhoff
> (I infer he's the asio developer) done something about it?

There's three workarounds you can try out in the short term:
1) try the patch
2) use Asio with the BOOST_ASIO_DISABLE_IOCP flag
3) revert Boost whole-sale to 1.53

This problem has cropped up in the #boost channel as a hidden problem
taking us many days to find, auditing pretty much every single piece of
the user code, before eventually stumbling over the bug report.

In any way, it's a problem that needs to be solved. If Asio does things
incorrectly, it doesn't matter how fast it manages to does it.

If I read the two bug reports right, the pre-1.54 way was
stable-and-boring-but-works, and the attempted improvements seem to have
gone wrong. In my eyes, it's either for the Asio people to revert to the
known-good way of 1.53, or fix up their new implementation to work in
reality.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]