Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [thread] Internal compiler error when trying to make movable future
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-07 16:17:47

On 7 Sep 2013 at 10:18, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

> > A lot of changes have been made to Boost.Thread in recent editions to
> > match APIs with the C++11 standard library. That, inevitably, will
> > cause older compilers some parsing difficulties, even in C++03 mode
> > (e.g. good luck getting VS2010 to not ICE with function types as
> > template parameters). In AFIO we certainly had to do a LOT of
> > rewriting code via trial and error until VS2010 wouldn't ICE.
> >
> > Hope that helps.
> Niall, I don't know if you are referring to difficulties with your usage
> of Boost.Thread or simply VS2010.

VS2010. Older visual studios don't like a boost::packaged_task<R()>
for example, and only work right with the previous
boost::packaged_task<R>.

This is not the fault of Boost.Thread.

There are also lots of gotchas with result_of, including the SFINAE
friendly newer version when used on older compilers.

> If you have found some abnormal behavior in Boost.Thread, please state
> it explicitly, and I will try to help.

No, my general, if poorly stated, advice to Gavin was to either use
older Boosts with older compilers, or expect to have to trial and
error ICE avoidance which is never fun. Or use a newer Visual Studio.
Sorry for being unclear.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/