Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [interprocess] Reading huge files
From: Sensei (senseiwa_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-16 04:42:26

On 10/11/13 4:40pm, Bjorn Reese wrote:
> On 10/11/2013 02:55 PM, Sensei wrote:
>
>> Another side-question, if you don't mind. I'm not sure that what I'm
>> doing is efficient, especially the need to copy from the region to a
>> string. If you have suggestions, I'm more than happy to hear these.
>
> You may consider using <boost/interprocess/containers/string.hpp>
> to avoid the copying.

Hi Bjorn,

I've tried to understand how boost::interprocess::string may work in
conjunction with a mmapped file, but I'm lost in the documentation.

All I've found regards shared memory between processes, but as far as I
understand, I don't really need shared memory, since all my processing
will be (for now) on a single process; in the future, threads, so even
then I won't need shmem.

Is there a document where I can read how to construct a container (or
better a boost::interprocess::string) without shared memory? I'm not
hopeful that a doc with boost::interprocess::string and mapped_region
exists :)

Thanks!