Subject: [Boost-users] Did build of Boost succeed - lib vs. stage/lib?
From: Lutz Gehlen (lrg_ml_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-14 20:10:27

Hello all,
I am trying to build the Boost libraries version 1.55.0 with Visual Studio
2010 Express under Windows XP. Following the instructions in the
documentation, I have unpacked the source code distribution, opened a
Visual Studio command line window, and executed
bootstrap
.\b2
I haven't noticed any errors, and I was told in the end that I had
successfully built the Boost libraries. So far, so good.

I then tried to build the example program in section 6 of the Getting
started guide. Section 6.1 instructs to add
"C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_55_0\lib"
(in my case E:\boost_1_55_0\lib)
to the list of Additional Library Directories. However, I do not have a lib
directory in E:\boost_1_55_0?!

I tried to build the example program and then searched for the library file
libboost_regex-vc100-mt-gd-1_55.lib that Visual Studio was failing to find.
I found it in E:\boost_1_55_0\stage\lib instead of E:\boost_1_55_0\lib.
Adding this directory to the list of Additional Library Directories allowed
me to build and execute the example program successfully.

However, I am wondering now whether my build worked correctly or not. I am
trying to avoid running into subtle and hard to debug problems later. Does
anyone know if or what went wrong with my build? What is the stage
directory and is it safe to use it?

Thank you very much for your help and best wishes
Lutz