Subject: Re: [Boost-users] How do I build libraries with binaries using two versions of the same toolset
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-11 14:52:08

AMDG

On 12/11/2013 11:25 AM, Ted Byers wrote:
> On my OpenSuse box, version 12.3, the default version of gcc is 4.7.
> I just successfully built gcc 4.8.2, with the binary names ending with
> 48 (so I have gcc48, g++48, &c.). So, I have two versions of gcc on
> this machine, and I believe I can use either by setting CC to the one
> or the other in my make files.
>
> Hence my problem. I have built boost 1.55.0 on my Ubuntu 12.04 box
> (but with the default names, so that gcc -v tells me that I am using
> gcc 4.8.2: the default version of gcc on that version of Ubuntu is
> 4.6, which is too old for me to consider). So, a basic build of the
> boost libraries is simple, and something I have done before. But I do
> not know how to build boost twice, once with gcc 4.7 and once with gcc
> 4.8.2, and have them installed in such a way as to ensure that the two
> builds do not clash and so that if I set CC to the one or the other
> version of gcc, the right build of boost will automagically be
> selected (it would be appreciated if someone who knows Gnu make better
> than I do could show me how to effect that in my makefiles).
> Obviously I am assuming that a single build of boost will not work
> with both compilers (is that assumption correct?).

It's possible that it would work, but
I wouldn't count on it. We don't do
anything to ensure it.

> Unfortunately, I
> have not yet found anything in the documentation that talks about
> building boost with different versions of a given toolset on the same
> machine.

The only problem is that the final libraries have the same name.
You can either use --layout=tagged or --layout=versioned
to include the toolset in the library name, or you
can use --stagedir=xxx to install the libraries into
two different directories.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe