Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost or Standard when there is the choice?
From: Stephan T. Lavavej (stl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-15 23:01:57

[Niall]
> I will mention with regard to the above that the non-intrusiveness of
> Boost implementations is - as you acknowledged - done deliberately.
> This can make maintenance in the face of refactors easier to grok,

As a library maintainer, I can say that I appreciate maintainability, but performance for users is more important. I am willing to add a fair amount of complexity in the pursuit of performance (e.g. I recently added a bunch of code to is_permutation() to optimize various things).

In the specific case of make_shared, the dedicated control block was about the same amount of code as the special deleter, and it ended up being more robust (in particular, wrt enable_shared_from_this).

That said, in Issaquah I learned (via Peter Dimov's proposal) that the shared_ptr casts can now be implemented non-intrusively via the aliasing constructors, which is obvious in hindsight, so I'll probably do that soon.

STL