Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Sanity check please?: Boost 1_55_0 and building VS2012 static libs?
From: Asbjørn (lordcrc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-21 16:31:24

On 21.05.2014 21:23, g4_at_[hidden] wrote:
>> Question: why are you manually linking when that is known is to error
> prone no matter how careful you are? Why not let auto-linking pick the
>> correct variant for you?
>
> Fair point: Frustration on a biblical scale.

FWIW we've used auto-linking in vs2010 with vc100 toolset, vs2012 with
both vc100 and vc110 toolsets, and vs2013 with vc120 toolset without issues.

> 1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file
> 'libboost_system-vc110-mt-gd-1_55.lib'

Whenever I get this it's invariably that I've built the project (or
boost) with the wrong runtime configuration. In this case the project is
built with /MDd, multithreaded, debug run-time dlls. See [1] for details.

I can't recall off-hand what b2 builds by default, but I never build the
debug versions of the boost libraries and hence use /MD for debug
projects as well. If I forget to change to /MD from /MDd (which is
default) I get the error you described.

Worth a double-check.

[1]:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0/more/getting_started/windows.html#library-naming