Subject: [Boost-users] [archive] binary archive to memory stream
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-18 11:18:46

Hello,

I am wrapping my head around archive, specifically binary archive.

I'd like to serialize a vector of objects in such a way, I need to
capture intermediate vector buffers (literally, to vector of uint8_t)
so that I can determine their sizes.

After which point the parent object(s) can serialize to file using
more conventional, built-in file streams and such.

It seems that binary_oarchive is helpful, but still requires there be
an ostream or streambuf in the mix. Which, as an adapter layer, while
helpful, it still leaves the question of extending streambuf to work
with ostream to vector<uint8_t> open.

I've read some docs on vectors and streambuf, but they all seem to be
geared towards a known-size vector, istream and such. I am interested
in a vector that can be streamed to, will grow in size, etc. Some
clues seem to hint at underflow, overflow type issues?

Any helpful pointers how to go about doing this?

Thanks...

Best regards,

Michael Powell