Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [ASIO] directory monitor ASIO extension
From: Keith Bennett (kanezor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-05 11:53:17

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Szymon Gatner <szymon.gatner_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> That is what I am not seeing, extensions will often require platform
> depended code anyway, like this directory monitor - has native Windows and
> POSIX calls.

True enough. But at the time there was a difference between us writing and
maintaining platform dependent code verses that fact being hidden away in a
third party library. So effectively our code would be write-once for all
platforms and then the extension would hide away the details for each
platform: theoretically reducing our time to market. Then if we had any
particular issues, we had the option of either fixing it ourselves or
contacting the original author for support. Or if it was egregious enough,
we could look for another third party library. Only finally after
exhausting those, would we look at writing platform dependent code
ourselves.

--
Keith Bennett