Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [ASIO] directory monitor ASIO extension
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-06 05:57:14

On 6 Aug 2014 at 8:58, Szymon Gatner wrote:

> > Ah yes. The directory monitor isn't ready for production use. By
> > production use I mean:
> >
> > * Can cope with 1m entry directories easily as the rest of AFIO can.
> >
> > * Can handle 50,000 entries changing every second in a 1m entry
> > directory without losing change deltas and without racing on
> > individual stats on a 2Ghz single core, with approximate linear
> > scaling with additional cores i.e. four cores can monitor four 1m
> > entry directories seeing 5% change.
>
> I should be OK :) What are the advantages over Boris' version tho?

Boris's won't deadlock as frequently as the AFIO one :). If code
isn't in the master or stable branch in AFIO, I wouldn't use it.

You could use AFIO's directory enumeration which is in stable
combined with Boris' directory monitoring. It depends on if you need
unracy metadata support on Windows as Filesystem is currently racy
there.

> > Sorry, I forgot (it's nearly 2am) to mention that AFIO itself is
> > production ready and has been in the review queue since October 2013.
> >
> Why isn't it under review yet?

There is a large backlog, some libraries have been waiting in the
queue for years. Part of this is due to sickness in the Boost culture
and the ongoing decline of Boost for two years now, part is simply
because no one wants nor needs a portable asynchronous file i/o
library and therefore no one is interested in volunteering as review
manager.

Besides, it wouldn't pass a review right now because its API would be
considered unusable as it was designed for maximum speed, and
therefore isn't "Boosty enough" - people would ask "where are the
iterators?" etc etc. This is also because the API is designed as a
stable binary ABI to be assembled by the forthcoming monadic
continuations framework being led out by Vicente. Still, if you need
maximum portable file i/o performance now, it works very well and
will continue to work into the future.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting