Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost.geometry] buffer distance strategies
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-24 13:39:51

Hi Grzegorz,

gchlebus wrote On 24-11-2014 11:06:
> [...]
>>
>> Hi Grzegorz,
>>

>> gchlebus wrote On 12-11-2014 21:52:
>>> <[hidden email]
>>> <http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4669040&i=0>>:
>>>
>>> Gu Grzegorz,

>>> Hmm, I see (starting at different values, but I can
>>> reproduce).
>>>
>>> I created a ticket, will be looked at. Thanks for
>>> reporting.
>>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/10770
>>>
>>> Barend
>>>

>>> Hi Barend,
>>>
>>> I'm glad that I could help.
>>> Anyway, I fixed the bug with NAN, but still when using
>>> (e.g. xNeg = 1, other 0) the buffer produces no output.
>>> I am really wondering, how it could work on your machine.
>>> I printed the values used by join and side strategies
>>> and they seem to be fine (no NANs or other strange
>>> values) - see attached log.txt and updated main.cpp used
>>> to produce the log file.
>>>
>>> I've compiled my code using msvc 12.0 and gcc 4.8.
>>
>> Which branch or version of Boost do you use?
>>
>> In the meantime, I managed to fix the bug you reported,
>> and it is committed today.
>>
>> Sorry for my question, but could you try it again with
>> the latest branch "develop" from github ?
>>
>> Regards, Barend
>>

>> Hi Barend,
>>
>> sure, I downloaded the geometry lib from the develop branch,
>> but still buffer returns an empty geometry (using xNeg = 1,
>> others 0).
>> I've ran my code also for big distances, and it works
>> perfectly. Good job!
>>
>> Best,
>> Grzegorz
>>

>> I made today an interesting observation. It seems that the buffer
>> function has a problem when the extents (xNeg, xPos, yNeg, yPos)
>> are zero. Taking my last example, setting xNeg to 1 and others to
>> 1e-3 makes the buffer work.
>

> Sure - thanks for sending me, that saves me time to find it out.
> Buffer-distance 0 is not supported (yet). Some GIS packages use
> that to clean a polygon, but we have designed dissolve for that.
> We might support it later but currently, indeed, as you found out,
> it will not work. I hope small distances are OK for your
> application, for now.
>
> Negative distances should work if used in the distance-policy,
> making the polygon smaller, but I don't think that it will work
> currently out of the box if you mix negative and positive
> distances in one join-strategy...
>
> Regards, Barend
>

> with small adjustment I made also shrinking possible, but I had to do
> this in a not very clean way. I had to add to the join strategy
> additional bool parameter in order to know whether shrinking or
> expanding should be performed. Do you have any idea how one could find
> out inside the join strategy whether the structure is being shrunk or
> expanded? For example in side strategy one of the parameters is
> distance strategy, which can tell me whether it's negative or positive.

Yes but these strategies are used differently. join-strategy is only
called for convex joins. If a join is concave, internally another piece
is created, there is no strategy for that (from user-perspective you
don't see anything because the sides intersect and the concave piece
disappears).

Now for a shrink/deflate operation, the polygon is walked reversily, so
counter-clockwise (if your polygons are clockwise). What is then a
concave configuration becomes convex, and v.v. so your join-strategy is
then only called for concave turns, creating the join on the inside. The
convex turn gets then nothing visible.

For your operation I believe it becomes more complex then because the
angle is different. In the next version we will add some more info to
the apply method of the strategy such that you can more easily detect
this, and that probably will also solve this problem.

Besides that, I have no problem to add the distance-strategy there too,
that is a good idea and makes the strategies more similar.

> Btw, I'm just wondering how complex it would be to allow zero distances?

Yes, that is complex but in the future we will work on it. But that
won't be next version.

Regards, Barend