Subject: [Boost-users] [gsoc15] Attn: We need 2015 mentors and project ideas for Boost!
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-12 10:51:37

Dear Boost community,

We are now within one month of the beginning of Google Summer of Code
2015! Last year's GSoC furthered the continuing success of the Boost
GSoC programme with the first ever Boost funded extension to a GSoC
project (that being Boost.Hana by Louis Dionne mentored by Joel
Falcou, congrats to both of them on passing an exceptionally tough
selection process), and over $50,000 of Google funding brought to
Boost in 2014. We also sent three representatives to last year's
mentor summit, including one student whose entire expenses the Boost
Steering Committee very generously covered.

As part of filling in our application for 2015, we must supply to
Google a list of potential GSoC mentors and potential GSoC projects
for summer 2015. There are a number of changes to how we design
project ideas for students this year intended to improve the GSoC
experience for both students and mentors, so please examine the ideas
page which outlines those changes at
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2015 and if you have any
questions or concerns about those changes, please ask now rather than
just before the GSoC deadline.

If you think yourself able to mentor a student doing some work on
Boost this summer, *please* consider adding a description of the
proposed work item and your name to the list. Last year we acquired
eight slots from Google and had to disappoint two mentors and
students, we hope with the improved selection process we can get back
to the ten annual slots we once had.

If you want to know more about mentoring a Google Summer of Code
funded
student work before you nominate yourself, please feel free to ask on
the
main Boost developers mailing list boost_at_lists.boost.org. Thank you
in
advance for your time.

Niall Douglas (Boost Google Summer of Code admin)
Boris Schäling (Boost Google Summer of Code admin)

---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2014 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2014