Subject: Re: [Boost-users] what happens between "fixed in development" and "available in release"?
From: oswin krause (oswin.krause_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-19 00:46:37

Hi
>> Putting '[serialization]' as the start of the subject to your message
>> has more chance of alerting the Boost developer of the serialization
>> library to your issue. Also citing the actual bug report that has
>> been fixed in serialization on the 'develop' branch would help to
>> specify the actual case of which you are concerned.
>>
> I believe the core question was how could he (the poster) contribute
> to speed the things up. About the process, not so much about the
> particular library or the particular bug. Something I was wondering
> about in the past, too. Your reply emphasizing indicates that there
> probably isn't a single "Boost-wide" process but that everything is in
> the hands of library maintainers, and that it differs from library to
> library.
This is exactly my question. If it would be in the hands of the single
maintainers to push their changes to release, this would be kind of
unfortunate as this makes it hard to enforce any policy, e.g. "this type
of bug is serious and can not be delayed" or "every library needs a
'development' and a 'bug fix' branch and the latter is always merged
into release". I guess, right now, bug fixes can be delayed when there
are other changes in development that still needs testing.

Best,
Oswin