Subject: Re: [Boost-users] what happens between "fixed in development" and "available in release"?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-20 11:20:59

On 20 Mar 2015 at 14:45, oswin krause wrote:

> So what do you guys think: is there something one can do with a
> reasonable workload ~20h/month to help the overall situation?

A big problem for a lot of Boost libraries is lack of issue
verification, so when someone submits an issue you really could do
with an independent third party to replicate it. That usually filters
out a good 70% of reported issues, so it's very valuable. Any
maintainer hugely appreciates it.

Another useful thing to do is to configure a Jenkins CI or a Travis
CI for a project which runs a useful subset of unit tests per commit.
Since I added Thread to my Jenkins install, Vicente the maintainer -
who won't use Windows - hasn't broken the Windows build on develop
branch. A big help.

Finally, for bug fixes or feature adds the no 1 biggest mistake
contributers make is not clearing how best to fix or add the feature
with the maintainer before writing any code. This cause is a big part
of the 50% or 60% ignoring of patches and pull requests submitted.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/