Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Cross compiling boost 1.55 static libs
From: Pham Ngoc Hai (pngochai_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-01 10:58:12

Hi Gavin,I was trying to link my library to lib_boost file system but the linker complains about unknown reference to
boost::filesystem::detail::status. I dont use boost::filesystem::detail::status, I only use boost::filesystem::exists.

nm show that boost::filesystem::detail::status is in in libboost_filesystem.a in Debian, Ubuntu (armhf) Arch (x86_64) but not in my crosscompiled libboost_filesystem.a.

     On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 7:09 PM, Gavin Lambert <gavinl_at_[hidden]> wrote:

 On 31/03/2015 03:53, Pham Ngoc Hai wrote:
> Hi guys, I'm trying to cross compile boost for armhf but some of the
> functions seem to be missed.
> I'm using croos-tool ng, gcc-4.8
>
> =================================
> For example in file system, boost::filesystem::detail::status is not there:
>
> nm stage/lib/linux_armv7/libboost_filesystem.a | grep status
> [returns nothing]

By definition you're not supposed to care about anything in any "detail"
namespace.  These are implementation details and are not guaranteed to
remain the same from version to version or architecture to architecture
or compiler to compiler.

If you find yourself trying to use something in detail, then you're
either missing some higher-level thing that you should be using instead,
or you should ask the library maintainer to publicly expose that
functionality.