Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [IPC Named Mutex]
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-29 13:09:18

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Ion Gaztañaga <igaztanaga_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> El 28/05/2015 a las 21:02, Michael escribió:
>>
>> On May 28, 2015 2:50:48 PM EDT, "Ion Gaztañaga" <igaztanaga_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:

>>> what's

>>> shared

>>> it's a

>>> last

>>> data).

>>> reboots

>>> Can you elaborate, please? What's a "filling system entry"?
>>>
>>> Delete-on-close would delete the resource when the last attached
>>> process
>>> exits, so it would be deleted before system reboot a new processes
>>> could
>>> not connect to the resource. Or am I missing something?
>>

>> Wouldn't it be a moot point when all mutex consumers closed? Next one
>> fires up and requests a brand new round of shared mutex.
>

> That could work with a mutex, half-work with a semaphore (the count should
> remain stable after the last process closes the handle) and broken for a
> shared memory object.
>
> The key is how to find a unique identifier that identifies each reboot. I've
> tried:

I'm not positive, but you would need to predetermine something about
it. A resource, location, or what have you. Either a file, whether
counting or not (i.e. sem.). Existing of that file, maybe uuid-named
for uniqueness between sessions, single file (if content in
directory), or something along these lines.

As long as that protocol was adhered to, should be no problem?