Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Details of boost parallel graph implementation
From: Mayank Bakshi (mayank.bakshi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-31 08:27:34

 Thanks for the reply Marcin.

I have some queries:

1.  Which are the files in the source tree where I can get the details of implementation of queue,graph and the property map for serial as well as distributed (MPI ) cases.

Also, I had the following query.

With reference to document
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_58_0/libs/graph_parallel/doc/html/overview.html
For parallel version of BFS, the steps that I inferred are as below. Could you please correct me in this:

1. The root node process reads the input file which is in the gr format read by metis reader.
2. The root node process creates the adjacency list representation of the graph.
3. The root node process creates the property map with "ghost cells" of the graph. The various entries are marked as white corresponding to each of the node.
4. The root node process will distribute the adjacency list and property map to each of the processes.
5. Each of the non-root nodes now has its own copy of adjacency list and property map along with details of the source node where the BFS is to start
6. Now the process having the source node starts the traversal of the graph.
7. The source node is put in a queue.
8. The source node will dequeue the source node and mark all its neighbours as gray and put them in queue. Also it will mark itself as black.
9. The property maps on each of the nodes will now be updated
10. Each of the node processes will be monitoring its own property map
       If any of the processes finds a node marked as gray, it will enqueue that particular node and start its own traversal locally.
11. Thus on every node the property map will be marked as gray and then eventually black after visit is complete. The property maps will be synchronised.
12. The steps from 8 to 11 are repeated till all the entries in every property map are marked as black.

Is my interpretation of the implementation for parallel correct?

How often are the property maps on various nodes synchronized and under what condition?

Is there any synchronisation with respect to the queues ?

Thanks & Regards
Mayank Bakshi
Tata Consultancy Services Limited
Cell:- 7083955990