Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [filesystem] Relative Draft Proposal RFC
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-22 08:04:02

On 22 Aug 2015 at 7:09, gast128 wrote:

> That would be cool. Our use: we develop a data acquisition application,
> which stores its per project data in a directory. We would like to keep
> everything under that directory relative to that directory, so that users
> just can copy that project directory and all still works. So we have mild
> requirements already full filled by the first line of the draft. For me it
> wouldn't be a problem if many corner cases can't be covered. If they are
> documented it's already ok, because I think that the main use case would be
> sufficient for most users.

You may be interested that proposed Boost.AFIO (review starting any
time now) allows users to arbitrarily rename a directory containing
open files while the program is running.

This an alternative way of solving relative paths: start by opening a
handle to the file or directory you wish to use as a base for all
further relative path operations. This method has the advantage of
being invariant to filesystem changes, but obviously is rather more
expensive than simple string manipulation.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/