Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost.Serialization broken for wchar_t
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-12-19 15:17:37

On 12/19/15 9:53 AM, gast128 wrote:
> Robert Ramey <ramey <at> rrsd.com> writes:
>

>> I'm aware of this problem and have had much difficulty in addressing it.
>> I would say stick with 1.57 until I can get it fixed. Hopefully this
>> will be for 1.61
>
> That's unfortunate, since we use Boost in production code and an upgrade
> always creates a lot of turmoil to get that process finished.
>
> Small question: what was wrong with the old code?

Hmmm - I don't remember now. Generally changes to the serialization
library are intended to enhance it. Since 1.57 changes have been made
to handle c++11 collections and types fix bugs etc. Also, limited
visibility for GCC was implemented. This makes the shared library a lot
smaller and faster to load, but consumed quite an effort getting gcc,
clang and msvc in sync on this subject. There was a problem in 1.59
where by it woudn't serialize russian characters. I fixed it - with
quite an effort, but that left broken wchar_t i/o on some platforms. I
declined to check the changes into master due to that. In spite of
trying various solutions, I'm still not getting handling of codecvt
working accross all platforms.

I've been drawn away from this. I want to get it fixed but it's quite
an effort and a tedious one at that.

Robert Ramey