Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] Boost.Operators issue: polluting namespace of caller through argument-dependent lookup
From: John M. Dlugosz (mpbecey7gu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-21 01:17:13

On 1/20/2016 10:41 AM, Daniel Frey wrote:
> In a way it makes library collections like Boost harder and I still think you should use
> qualified lookup in your specific case,

No, I specifically don't want to qualify every use, as explained originally. The code
needs compatibility with some configurations that require the tr1 namespace and others
that prohibit it. Qualifying every reference is bad; rather, import them in one place.

You are basically saying that `using N::foo;` is never right because someone may happen to
use the name foo in an unrelated library and ADL is a misfeature? I think that doesn't
scale. It should be SOP to isolate classes that are meant to be used as base classes by
library consumers, and treat unqualified lookup of names pulled in to the local scope via
`using` as something that is a useful feature that ought to work.

> but as I already said in another mail I’m willing to fix it. I just need to figure out
> where to commit and merge stuff as the last time I worked on it we were still using svn
> and the branching model was different. I hope to be able to find the time somewhere in
> the next days. Regards, Daniel

Looking forward to it in 1.62 or whatever. Thanks!

—John