Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost 1.63 fails to build with zlib and bzip2 in different directories
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-05 14:42:36

On 1/5/2017 12:42 PM, Steven Watanabe wrote:
> AMDG
>
> On 01/05/2017 10:34 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
>> On 1/5/2017 6:48 AM, Andrea Bocci wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm trying to build custom binaries for boost 1.63 using zlib and bzip2
>>> from a local installation rather than the system ones, following the
>>> instructions at
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> but it looks like the build system does not like having the zlib and
>>> bzip2 libraries in different folders.
>>>
>>> <snip>
>> Try removing the -sBZIP2... and -sZLIB... lines and adding to your
>> userconfig.jam:
>>
>> using bzip2 : 1.0.6 : <include>full-path-to/bzip2-1.0.6
>> <search>full-path-to/bzip2-1.0.6 ;
>> using zlib : 1.2.10 : <include>full-path-to/zlib-1.2.10
>> <search>full-path-to/zlib-1.2.10 ;
>>

> That will have the same problem. The bug
> is at a pretty low level. It will trigger
> regardless of how you specify the paths.

Does that mean that the bug is a Boost Build bug ?

In my own user-config.jam on Windows I can specify:

using zlib : 1.2.8 : <source>E:/Utilities/zlib/zlib-1.2.8 ;
using bzip2 : 1.0.6 : <source>E:/Utilities/bzip2/bzip2-1.0.6 ;

in order to build from source and this does work. Does that mean that
the bug only occurs when specifying the already built binary include and
library paths as opposed to building from source ?

The iostream build was changed in the past by you and "loonycyborg",
whoever that is, to use a different way of handling zlib and bzip2. So I
think that you may know how this problem should be fixed, whether in the
iostreams build jamfile or in Boost Build.