Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Cutting headers
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-09 17:48:41

On 5/9/17 10:23 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost-users wrote:
> On 09/05/2017 17:14, Robert Ramey via Boost-users wrote:
>> On 5/8/17 10:44 PM, Igor Mironchik via Boost-users wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> How can I cut specific library from Boost, if, for example, I don't want
>>> to place all Boost but only one library from Boost?
>>>
>>> Is it possible?
>>>

>> I do this all the time. I just import specific headers and link to the
>> particular libraries.
>>
>> The only issue that arises is that some boost libraries use other boost
>> libraries so I have to add some other headers/libraries to the
>> application working set. We have tools for determining these secondary
>> dependencies but for some specific technical reasons they aren't
>> perfect. I just work out the dependencies by hand. It's a simple one
>> time procedure that just consists in building the app adding missing
>> pieces until it builds to completion.
>
> A faster way could be to use https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pcpp to
> partially preprocess a Boost library and all its dependent headers into
> a single, self contained include file.

Hmmm - I was pretty skeptical that this would be helpful when I read
this. I went to the cited page and checked out. It wasn't all that
clear what this thing does and how to use it. I probably could figure
it out if I had time to do so though. But I can't believe that using it
would be simpler, faster or more effective than the procedure I just
outlined above.