Subject: Re: [Boost-users] asio: cancelling a named pipe client
From: Stian Zeljko Vrba (vrba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-01 06:36:55

Hi,

thanks for your patience. This is still unclear.

> post() a method that calls close()

That's what I meant. I'll try to be more precise. QC below stands for the io_service's queue contents.

  1.
io_service dequeues and executes a completed read handler. This handler starts a new async read operation... QC: [] (empty). Pending: async_read.
  2.
The program enqueues to io_service a lambda that calls close. QC: [ {close} ] Pending: async_read.
  3.
In the mean-time (say, during the enqueue), the started async_read operation completed successfully in parallel because it didn't block at all. QC: [ {close} {ReadHandler} ] Pending: none.
  4.
io_service dequeues {close}, nothing to cancel, the handle is closed. QC: [ {ReadHandler} ]
  5.
io_service dequeues {ReadHandler}, which initiates a new read from the closed handle. QC: []

This assumes that asynchronous operations and notifications are, well, asynchronous. IOW, there is a time window (en-/dequeueing and execution of {close}) during which async_read can complete and end up non-cancellable, so {ReadHandler} is enqueued with success status.

What part of the puzzle am I missing?