Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::asio blocking socket read with timeout with multiple threads
From: tom_at_[hidden]
Date: 2018-03-23 08:44:57

> This seems unlikely. I have been using asio in production code on Linux for
> 4 years. Can you post a mcve so I can test?
Yes, the code I started this thread with:
https://gist.github.com/tomq42/331b8d48110c5025e0fce93e689bd5a3

I don't think this is a surprise. As far as I understand it, "cancel" isn't expected to cancel a *synchronous* read from the socket. It's more of a surprise to me that calling close on the socket doesn't have the effect of causing the read to return with an error. Both of these things work on Windows, and I started out on Windows, so the code was all fine there.