Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Convert boost::shared_ptr to std::shared_ptr for boost::dll::import
From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-04-13 16:48:45

On Friday, April 13, 2018, Chris Glover wrote:

> There are of course other reasons for choosing the boost variant over the
> std variant, even outside of boost. Four that often influence me are:
>
> - Boost often offers an extended API
> - Boost components can be forward declared
> - Boost offers the same implementation across platforms
> - I can fix a boost version should I need to
>
> My projects tend to reach for boost over std for most components as a
> result of this.
>
> -- chris

Additionally, speaking specifically about boost::shared_ptr here:

1. Reasons some users choose boost::shared_ptr in C++11 and C++14 code:
- shared_ptr<T[]> (C++17 only)
- local_shared_ptr<T> (Boost only, interoperates with boost::shared_ptr<T>)

2. Reasons some users choose boost::shared_ptr in C++17 code:
- make_shared<T[]> and allocate_shared<T[]> (C++20 only)
- local_shared_ptr<T> (Boost only, interoperates with boost::shared_ptr<T>)

3. Reasons some users choose boost::shared_ptr in C++2a code:
- make_shared<T[]> and allocate_shared<T[]> (until all vendors implement it)
- local_shared_ptr<T> (Boost only, interoperates with boost::shared_ptr<T>)

Glen