Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Is it safe to download boost_1_67_0-msvc-14.1-64.exe?
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-06-28 04:10:37

Mere moments ago, quoth I:
> The Right Wayâ„¢ to handle this case for the layperson is to
> authenticode-sign the exe file, such that when you try to run it,
> Windows will verify the signature and tell you who it was signed by.

Also note that Windows normally only does this when apps request admin
permission. Which is common but not mandatory for installers; I'm not
sure which way these ones happen to be set up (since I couldn't download
them).

You can verify certificates on non-admin exes as well but you have to
think to do this yourself; it won't happen automatically on launch.