Subject: Re: [Boost-users] ASIO: Writing Composed Operations
From: Damian Jarek (damian.jarek93_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-12-06 23:59:30

Here's an example of what might happen if a composed operation doesn't
maintain work guards properly:
https://wandbox.org/permlink/aqsGDNJWTmFd7PdC

Without the work_guard the coroutine never completes. If you add the
work_guard, everything works correctly.

In general, the Executors in the TS and ASIO don't do anything fancy with
the information about pending work, because they have wide contracts. In
theory, the TS allows Executors to have much narrower contracts.
In principle, the last call to `on_work_finished()` is allowed to delete
all shared state related to an operation, thus hijacking the work counting
mechanism to replace the need for `shared_ptr`.

Note that I'm describing the behavior of the current reference
implementation of the TS (ASIO) and I'm currently trying to figure out why
the behavior differs. Analyzing standardeese is hard :).