Subject: Re: [Boost-users] C++/CLI and >=VS2015
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-01-08 15:39:58

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:25 AM degski via Boost-users
<boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 16:55, kwitee via Boost-users <boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am having the same issue. Did you manage to fix the error, or did you roll
>> back to the older version of boost?
>

> If you just stick to the obsolete version of boost, that is contemporary to the obsolete version of MSVC you choose [or are obliged] to use, you will have no (or little) problems.

Along these same lines, everything I've been reading about C++/CLI is
that it has "grown" into obsolescence of sorts. Microsoft has focused
mainly on the netcore with even netstandard being sort of the tail
that wags the dog, replete with all the tooling, etc, etc, and so on.
With that CLI seems to have been forgotten about, as have other stacks
along the way, WinForms, WPF, etc. Some of which are garnering
attention after community push back.

However, CLI remains on of those corner cases that have been neglected
in the process in my estimation. This becomes evident when curious
about whether I could write a C++/CLI assembly targeting netstandard,
for instance. I do not think it is possible at this time.

Perhaps reconsider whether CLI is necessary a necessary stack at this
point, notwithstanding how much of a dependency on Boost or other
libraries that you've assumed. Any more with netcore/netstandard
compiler improvements, it's debatable, I think.

HTH, good luck!