Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost.test] Colors
From: Raffi Enficiaud (raffi.enficiaud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-02-23 15:01:16

On 21.02.19 17:22, Udo Steinbach via Boost-users wrote:
> Am 2019-02-20 um 22:38 schrieb Raffi Enficiaud via Boost-users:
>> and this was fixed in 1.69
>
> I have read it, but was so far been too lazy to compile it.
> I think that colors may help with many lines of output, and only then. But
> the default output of boost::test should be OK, one line. Everything else
> needs attention, also no colors needed.

You can set an environment variable globally if you want to avoid the
default behaviour. See

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_69_0/libs/test/doc/html/boost_test/utf_reference/rt_param_reference/color_output.html

The variable BOOST_TEST_COLOR_OUTPUT is there for your need.

> If you want color, you have to handle colors complete, not only 'red here,
> green that'. Maybe console setup or unsuitable combinations or color
> blindness (system in high contrast mode) or remote console or whatever that
> you have to take into account.

Right, so your problem is rather the color scheme of Boost.Test that is
not playing well with your color scheme. It is true that I did not
adjusted the background and I made the hypothesis of the default one.

> Because color is not needed for test AND handling colors is not easy,
> default should be colorless mode.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. I personally like having
color outputs, and combining this with log levels let me parse a big
amount of information/logs significantly faster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_gustibus_non_est_disputandum

>> open an issue next time on GitHub
>
> I try to avoid registration on free services.

I am fine with that. I still consult this list, although in a less
regular manner.

If the variable BOOST_TEST_COLOR_OUTPUT is good enough for you, or if
you want an improvement, let me know.

Best,
Raffi