Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Networking TS + Beast, NEW Tutorials, Read this to learn std::net !!!
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-15 19:28:19

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:19 PM Niall Douglas via Boost-users
<boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> That's not how I read the OP's point. He seemed to me to be pointing out
> that .NET APIs provide a stupid-simple API on top of lots of complexity
> which itself sits on top of the Win32 winsock API.

Well, I think you read it incorrectly.

> And that I find a very fair criticism of the Networking TS

You're doing the same thing that the OP did, which is blaming
Networking TS for not doing enough. Let me see if I can explain it
"stupid-simple" for you:

We have this lower layer N (which is Networking TS) but users want SS
(stupid-simple high level interface). SS can be implemented in terms
of N, and you criticize Networking TS because it is N and not SS. It
sounds like I have perfectly characterized the point of both the OP
and yourself. I agree that we need SS but that doesn't mean we should
not have N. Then there's B (for Beast) which uses N, and can be used
to write SS but that's a whole different discussion :)

Here's a diagram to make it easy:

SS Stupid/Simple <--- You want this
B Beast <--- We have this now
N Networking TS <-- We've had this

Please show me on the diagram why the availability of N and/or B are
obstacles to implement SS?

Thanks